How to make classic and Margarita matzah pizza! Plus, the secrets so it’s not soggy. That’s the worst!
Alright, kids, I am not going to sugar coat it. Matzah (Matzo) is not in my top 100 foods- not even close. Come Passover, while young gentiles are relishing in chocolate covered bunnies and those disgustingly delicious Cadbury cream eggs, us Jews are forced to choke down matzah brei and gefilte fish. Yum! But do not pout, WJWE is here to the rescue with a recipe that is worth its weight in pastel colored candies- matzah pizza! Because while matzah is not one of my favorite foods, pizza sure is up there. I highly recommend the Yeduha brand of matzah (please click on the link and enjoy the klezmer music. Jew are welcome in advance!) It is the only matzah I let near my lips. (Has anyone else noticed non-Jews love matzah? Go figure!) Anyways, prepare to be dazzled- I bring you, margarita matzah pizza.
Feel free to get creative with your matzah pizza! Maybe a date and blue cheese (and bacon) pizza? Or meat lovers? Or even pile on the veggies. I went with the classic margarita.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spread a little cheese on the matzah- this acts as a base to protect the crunchiness. Bake it for a few minutes to set, and then add tomato sauce on your piece of matzah. Sprinkle on spices of your choice (my choice was oregano and garlic). Then, pile on your toppings- mine were basil and fresh mozzarella.
Um, and that’s it! I guess this is barely a recipe, but it makes matzah taste delicious so let’s go with it. Bake for 5-7 minutes and enjoy!
- 1 piece matzah
- ⅛ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- ⅛ teaspoon dried garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella or more shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the matzah. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 2-3 minutes to set.
- Spread sauce over matzah. Sprinkle with garlic and oregano.
- Cover with fresh mozzarella or shredded mozzarella and basil.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey. Eat!