This easy tahini sauce recipe is delicious on everything from falafel to grilled eggplant!
We have been cooking most of our meals these days (shalom, quarantine). And as much as we both love to cook (I’m lucky my husband cooks as much as I do) we are getting a weeee bit bored. And are always looking for ways to spice up easy dishes. My favorite way to do this? Sauces! You can grill some chicken and switch it up completely depending on the sauce. And this tahini sauce is one of my favorites.
What is tahini? I’m glad you asked! Tahini is a condiment made from toasted sesame seeds and is so good. It’s a staple on everything in Israel. Think how in the US they give you ketchup with every meal, well, in Israel it’s tahini! Cool, tight? If you’ve had hummus, then you’ve had tahini. It’s a key ingredient.
This tahini sauce is a perfect creamy way to use tahini. (Tahini can also be used in everything drizzling over potatoes to using it in desserts!) What can you use this tahini sauce on? More like what CAN’T you use it on. Seriously, you can even make it sweet with some silan (date syrup) or honey and dip dark chocolate into. Drool. But my favorite options: salmon, chicken, roasted eggplant or other vegetables, my Chicken Shawarma Lettuce Wraps, falafel, dip pita in it. Anything!
Plus, you can get creative with the seasonings. Add a little fresh or dried garlic, paprika, cumin, fresh cilantro, etc. to switch up the flavor profile. I love how one basic recipe can turn into so many ideas. This is how to cook!! Use what you have. Let me know how you enjoy this tahini sauce! And you may want to double it, it’s so good.
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise Greek yogurt works too if you aren't keeping it parve
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Water to thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: cumin, paprika, fresh cilantro, za'atar etc
- To make the creamy tahini sauce, mix together tahini, mayonnaise or Greek yogurt, lemon juice and olive oil in a medium bowl or a food chopper and add enough water to get a thick but runny texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to double this and use on veggies, salmon, etc.Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.