Usually I take Bubbe’s recipes and put a little spin on it. I take hummus– and what is that pumpkin in there? Crazy pills! I made rugelach, but doctored with nutella! And then there is Manischewitz– I sassed that up with even more booze! But there are other times when the original is hardly even recognizable. Sorry Bubbs!
That’s what I did with potato kugel. Traditionally, potato kugel is a grayish potato casserole, often served for Passover (sounds tantalizing doesn’t it?) Not these Potato Zucchini Kugel Cupcakes!
Topped with a little Greek yogurt “frosting” and scallion “sprinkles”, this makes a tasty side dish.
- 2 medium potatoes, washed well and peeled (about 1 pound)
- 2 medium zucchini, washed well (about ⅔ pound)
- ½ white onion
- 3 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour or matzah meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grate potatoes, zucchini, garlic and onions by hand (or use a food processor).
- Squeeze out any liquid with cheesecloth or paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix together oil, eggs, flour, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add potato mixture to the egg mixture and combine.
- Scoop into greased muffin tins and cook 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt and scallions and enjoy!