Salmon with Apple Fig Chutney and Jeweled Rice dotted with pomegranate arils. Perfect for Rosh Hashanah or a dinner in fall!
Oooh ahh. I know I don’t have a lot of fish on this blog, but I don’t know why. Because I love it! If you forced me, I’d probably pick seafood over my beloved brisket. That may be shocking, but it would be a tough call. Luckily, I don’t have to pick!
But for Rosh Hashanah, I wanted to make an easy fish main. Did you know, it’s customary to eat fish heads for the New Year as a way to look ahead? It’s true! I’ll pass on the head, and go for a salmon filet instead. This salmon is topped with an easy apples + honey inspired chutney and paired with a jeweled rice using Veetee Thai Jasmine Rice I got from my local HEB! It’s delicious (just the right kind of sticky) and easy to make (microwave 2 minutes. The end). So you can spend more time with your guests. Or more time making rugelach. Your call!
A nice dry rub with chile, cumin, cinnamon, brown sugar. All the good stuff!!
Paired with a simple sweet and savory apple fig chutney that would also be delicious over chicken. Or with a spoon.
I added walnuts to the rice for crunch, and pomegranate arils (those are the seeds, y’all) for color but also as a new fruit for the New Year. People also say there are 613 seeds in a pomegranate, just like 613 commandments. Who am I to argue?
Salmon with Apple Fig Chutney and Jeweled Rice
- For salmon and rub:
- 1 1/2 to 2- pound salmon filet the the skin on
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For apple fig chutney:
- 1 apple peeled and diced. I used granny smith.
- 4 dried figs trimmed and diced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- For rice:
- 1 package Veetee Heat + Eat Thai Jasmine Rice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salmon rub ingredients. Place fish skin-side down on a foil lined baking sheet. Rub the dry rub all over the salmon.
- Roast for 12 minutes or until salmon is cooked to your desire level of doneness.
- While the salmon is roasting, make the chutney. Sauté apple and figs with salt in a medium saucepan until they just start to get tender, about 3 minutes. Then add honey, lemon juice, chile powder, cinnamon and cayenne, and continue cooking until very tender but not mushy, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in walnuts and set aside.
- Heat rice in the microwave and stir in pomegranate arils and walnuts. Serve salmon immediately with rice and chutney, topped with chives.
This post is sponsored by Veetee, but all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands that support WJWE!