A little sweet, a little crunchy, you may not be able to wait until Rosh Hashanah to enjoy this fall Apples and Honey Chickpea Quinoa Salad!
Holy Moses, Rosh Hashanah is just three weeks away! Do you know where your apples and honey are? Usually I host a New Jew Year soiree, but I’m just not sure I’ll have the time this year.
My boyfriend and I just got back from a jam-packed and fun-filled week in New York and Michigan shopping for ModernTribe and visiting friends and family. I got to meet some of my newest baby cousins, saw Book of Mormon (have you seen it? So good!) and had one of the best meals ever at Frenchette (duck frites > steak frites). Next week is my brother’s wedding (!!!) and then we are headed on a BIG TBA trip. I’ll share soon! Whew.
So even if I end up celebrating Rosh Hashanah in a smaller way, we will still need apples and honey, right? Though I have a feeling 5779 is going to be sweet already. So how about we enjoy in a healthy salad form?? Thanks to VeeTee, this side dish couldn’t be easier.
I’ve partnered with VeeTee Microwavable Rice before in this Salmon with Apple Fig Chutney, and I love using it for holidays because it’s super quick and easy, so you can spend more time mingling! Plus, they have so many tasty flavors that will inspire new recipes (Spicy Spanish anyone?) You just microwave it and that’s it. Rice perfection!
Look at these jewels! <3 Another Rosh tradition.
I mixed in arugula, apples, walnuts, green onion, chickpeas and a honey vinaigrette!
Tell me what you’re cooking for Rosh Hashanah!
Apples and Honey Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- For Salad:
- 1 package of VeeTee Wholegrain & Quinoa Rice 1.5 cups
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion green parts
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 Granny Smith apple half diced and half sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- For Honey Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the rice according to the package directions- pierce the film and microwave for two minutes. Stir and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile make the dressing. Mix together all the ingredients with a whisk in a medium bowl.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and mix in chickpeas, green onion, arugula, diced apple, walnuts and pomegranate.
- Toss in dressing, top with sliced apples and serve immediately!
- Make ahead tips: you can make the rice and dressing two days before serving. Keep refrigerated.
This post is sponsored by VeeTee, but all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands that support WJWE!