I don’t know if y’all know this, but I’m a winner. I win things. I won a deep fryer on my last birthday. I have won gift baskets, wine, blog giveaways and concert tickets to Coldplay and Mumford and Sons. Once I won a trip for two to McAllen, Texas (which may actually be a loss) and another time to Cancun- flight and hotel included. I really should enter the lottery one of these days. Now I am hoping to win something bigger- I auditioned for The Next Food Network Star last weekend and so far have made it to round two! I will find out next month if I make it to the final round. (Ahh!) The Food Network needs more Jews in front of the camera, right? Jew know it!
You know what else is a winner? This recipe. Crunchy, herb filled chickpeas of goodness. They taste bad for you but they are as healthy as they are tasty! Here is all you need to make your own roasted chickpeas:
This recipe is super easy. I used dried chickpeas, but you could totally use canned. Place your chickpeas in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and your favorite spices. I used garlic and dill, because I had it already on hand. But rosemary would be awesome too. Or thyme. Or anything! Mix that sucker up and then spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
These chickpeas are especially tasty warm either as a snack, or on salads. I had mine on Israeli salad!
And speaking of winners, thanks to those of you entered the RiceSelect™ contest last week!! I used a random integer program to pick a winner, and the first number I drew was a six, but that was Bubbe, and she can’t win. (Sorry Bubbs!) I guess we come from a family of winners! But next I drew a 13! Mazel Hanaa! Please send me your address to amykritzer @ gmail dot com so you can enjoy your rice and tote bag!
- 3 cups chickpeas canned or cooked from dry, dried very well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon your favorite herb I used dill!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Either cook dried chickpeas or rinse and dry canned chickpeas.
- In a bowl, mix the chickpeas with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and dill.
- Spread the chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes until golden brown, rotating after 15 minutes.
- Serve warm on salad or as a snack!