Easy Honey Mustard Roasted Chicken with Apples- perfect for Rosh Hashanah!
Some foods are just unequivocally sexier than other foods. Strawberries and champagne, dark chocolate, and chopped liver. You heard me. But to me, nothing is sexier than a whole roasted chicken. There is something about rubbing fat and spices all over a raw bird that gets me hot and bothered. Just me? Hmm.
And what better way to roast a chicken than in my cutest 1950’s inspired Suzy McHomemaker heels and (unpictured) ruffled apron right? Right! I feel so ridiculously domestic.
This chicken is just perfect for Rosh Hashanah – the Jewish New Year- which is coming up this month. It is just like secular New Year’s, but instead of celebrating with a case of Andre and making out with strangers, we celebrate with apples and honey, which symbolize a sweet New Year. A little tamer but just as fun! Whee!
Making your chicken is a breeze. I didn’t make my own stock here, but you could always make your own stock too!
After cleaning my bird, I covered that sucker with oil, salt, pepper and thyme. I kind of just threw stuff together for all the ingredients, but there are actual measurements below.
What’s that you say? You want a gratuitous raw chicken shot? Fiiiine. Just one- because I like you. All seasoned up.
I put the bird in a roasting pan on a rack and surrounded her with chopped onions. Then I combined the Dijon mustard, chicken broth and honey and poured that on top.
While the chicken is roasting, I chopped up some apples into large pieces and combined with some brown sugar for sweetness. After 45 minutes, I basted the chicken and surrounded it with the apples and roasted for until the apples were soft and the chicken cooked to an internal temperature of 165. For me, that was 55 more minutes.
Come to mama!
My pan was filled with leftover tasty juices, and I decided to utilize some of my new culinary school skills to make a sauce. I made a roux with oil and flour, and then added it to the jus to make a gravy of sorts. If you want more details on the sauce, just let me know!
I put everything on a plate and I was ready to celebrate the New Year in style.
Honey Mustard Roasted Chicken with Apples
- One 3-4 pound chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup chicken broth I used low sodium or make your own
- 2 tablespoons oil I used olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme
- 3 apples I used Fuji
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and clean thoroughly with cold water. Dry chicken.
- Rub oil on the chicken and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Chop onions into large pieces.
- Put the chicken on a rack (to prevent dryness) in a roasting pan and surround with onions.
- Combine Dijon mustard, honey, and chicken broth and pour over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, basting halfway through.
- Chop apples into similar large pieces like the onions. Sprinkle with brown sugar and add to the pan.
- Roast until the apples are soft and the chicken cooked to an internal temperature of 165. For me, that was 55 more minutes.