A healthy summer Roasted Beet Salad with Pickled Carrots, Lemon Cream, Mint and Almonds! So you can eat more cookies.
So if you get my newsletter (you should! It’s fun! And exclusive!) then you already know I’m working on my first cookbook. Yay! It’s all modern Jewy desserts, so in between binge eating rugelach and hamantaschen in June (which is also the name of my new Indie band. I play the triangle), I have been eating all the veggies. Because a girl cannot live on butter and cream cheese alone, especially in bikini season.
This salad is totally my jam. Earthy roasted beets in a cumin dressing. Quick pickled carrots.
All swirled in a lemon cream that you may or may not want to bathe on. Don’t fret, this is a judge free blog.
And the beets are all adorably circular too. Yes!
You can serve them all pretty as a side salad like this… Topped with fresh mind, almonds, chili pepper flakes for heat and a drizzle of honey. Oh yeah.Action shot!
Or you can also serve them as little appetizer amuse bouche on spoons like I did at the OneTable launch party in the big city. Cute!!
- For pickled carrots:
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and sliced into very thin slices with a mandoline or knife
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- For beets:
- 1½ pounds fresh beets, cleaned and trimmed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for drizzling
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- Mint, chopped, for garnish
- For Lemon Cream:
- ⅓ cup heavy cream, cold
- ⅓ cup whole milk yogurt or Greek yogurt
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To pickle carrots, place sliced carrots in a large mason jar or two. In a medium saucepan, bring apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, salt and garlic clove to a boil. Pour over carrots to cover, let cool, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Pickles will keep for up to a week, and you should have some extra. Yay!
- Place beets on a large piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Wrap in the foil and roast for 1 hour or until tender. Rub off skin with a towel while hot (it's easier that way!) and let cool.
- Put the almonds on a foil lined cookie sheet and roast for 5-7 minutes until toasted (they should smell toasty), careful not to burn!
- Once beets are cool, slice thin (1/8 inch) and cut into rounds using a 1-inch cookie cutter. Try to get as many circles as you can from each slice.
- Whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, cumin, lemon juice, honey and salt to taste to make dressing and toss with sliced beets. Set aside.
- Then make lemon cream. With a hand mixer or whisk, beat cream until peaks form. Then add in yogurt and lemon juice and beat until thick.
- Spread some of the cream on the bottom of the serving plates, and then top with beets, carrots, almonds, mint, chili pepper flakes and a drizzle of honey. Serve immediately, as the beets will start to bleed a little if placed on the lemon cream.