Do you like noodles? Do you like cheese? Thought so! This noodle kugel Jewish-style casserole is totally addicting and totally covered in candied pecans. Chyeah!
(You can’t visit New England in the fall and not get a boots in the leaves glamour shot. That would just be wrong!) I got to hang out with mom, dad and Bubbe time (and tons of sleep) before heading off to the big city!
I was also on a panel! Even though we look super bored here, we were super excited. I chatted with Yosef, Chanie and Miriam about monetizing your blog. We probably could have chatted for four more hours! (We may have a Twitter party to continue the convo. I’ll keep you updated.) But, there was a dinner to get to!
It was off to BK (that’s Brooklyn in cool speak) for 10 courses at T-Fusion Steakhouse! Oy. I was mostly busy
at the bar chatting with my fellow bloggers, but I did manage to snag a slightly blurry photo of this Foie Gras Chicken Liver Mousse Stuffed Sufganiyot! For serious. I will be recreating this real soon.
The next day, we schlepped to Jersey for Kosherfest! A totally amazing kosher food trade show of my dreams. I got to see some of my favorite brands like Manischewitz and Pereg Gourmet and meet some new ones!
There was gefilte fish… Fried chicken… Jonathan brought me my first flagel! It was glorious. Tons of chopped liver… Lolz More gefilte! Can I get this banner to wallpaper my kitchen? Liz and I sampled hummus and practiced our Blue Steel.
Some of my favorite ladies!
Can this red wine part the Red Sea?
Annnd back to kugel!
I love how the crunchy pecans add texture to the melt-in-your-mouth kugel.
And it just adds that fall touch, you know? (I know!)
Noodle Kugel with Candied Pecans
- Kugel ingredients:
- 1/2 pound wide egg noodles (8 oz)
- 1/4 pound butter plus more for buttering pan
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1 pint container sour cream (16 oz)
- 1 pound container cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- Topping ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, chopped or whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13x9-inch glass or ceramic dish. The dish should be at least 2 inches deep.
- Cook noodles in salted water according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain well, then return the noodles to the pot, add butter and gently mix to melt, completely coating the noodles. Mmm butter.
- In a large bowl, beat with a hand mixer, eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Then stir in the raisins.
- Combine your noodles with the mixture, and transfer into the baking dish.
- To make the topping, stir together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over kugel.
- Bake kugel for 1 hour until golden brown. Let stand at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.