Gluten Free Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Dill Sour Cream and Fried Capers! Tested with Nima, to ensure everyone gets their latke on this Hanukkah.
Happy Hanukkah, y’all! It’s finally here. Bring. On. The. LATKES! I’ve mentioned before that I love throwing latke parties every Hanukkah. I make the latkes, everyone brings a topping. Traditional sour cream or applesauce, or something fun like guacamole or lox (mmm lox). Proceed to eat. With friends that are vegan, dairy-free, sugar-free, fish-free, pescatarian, and essentially carnivore, it’s tough to make latkes that satisfy everyone. But let’s start with gluten-free.
I’ve partnered with Nima Sensor, the only portable gluten sensor out there, to make these Gluten Free Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Dill Sour Cream and Fried Capers. It’s easy to make gluten-free latkes. I just swapped out all-purpose flour with rice flour. I’ve found it makes the crunchiest latkes. But how do you know for sure your latkes are for sure gluten-free?
In fact, the first time I made these gluten-free latkes, I accidentally used old oil. Doh! A simple mistake, but one that could make my friends sick! That would be one bummer of a Hanukkah party.
Those crunchy, salty capers really make these latkes!
With Nima, you don’t have to fret. Just place a tiny bit of food in the capsule, wait two minutes, and you’ll know if your food is safe to eat. Makes going out to eat so much easier, right?
Make sure to add all components of the dish. Smile means nosh on! Wheat means hand over to a gluten-eating friend! (I’ll take these latkes off your hands.) Happy Hanukkah!!
Gluten Free Zucchini Potato Latkes with Dill Sour Cream and Fried Capers
- For Latkes:
- 1/2 pound 2 medium russet potatoes, washed well
- 3/4 pound 2 medium zucchini, washed well
- 2 tablespoons onion diced
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- For Fried Capers:
- 2 tablespoons capers dried well
- For Dill Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- Peel and shred potatoes, shred (don't peel) zucchini, and dice onions and place in a large bowl. Wring out all the liquid very well, and then dry again with a towel. You want the mixture to be very dry.
- Add egg, rice flour and salt and combine.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until the oil is hot.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the potato-zucchini mixture into the oil in batches, and flatten them down to form ½ inch patties. Brown on one side, about 2 minutes, and then flip and brown the other.
- Place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil and sprinkle with more salt.
- While the oil is still hot, add capers and fry until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- To make sour cream, combine sour cream and dill.
- Top latkes with dill sour cream and capers!
Thanks to Nima Sensor for sponsoring this post. And thanks to you for supporting WJWE!