Oh yeah savory Everything Bagel Sufganiyot aka Hanukkah doughnuts are stuffed with lox and schmear because I love you.
This Hanukkah is LIT!
I’m about to head out to my 5th (!) Hanukkah party just this weekend (good thing I have a dozen or so Hanukkah ensemble options.) Yesterday I made 50 latkes for my brother’s party (which was complete with the inaugural Dreidel Olympics and an acoustic rendition of Adam Sandler’s Hanukkah song. For real. But today I bring you the other Hanukkah treat- doughnuts!! AKA sufganiyot.
Traditional sufganiyot are filled with jelly or chocolate and dusted with powdered sugar. But there are no rules that say they can’t be savory! And I like to break rules anyway. These are just barely sweet, fried, cream cheese-stuffed everything bagel sufganiyot are they are AWESOME and totally Hanukkah breakfast worthy.
Did you know Costco makes delicious lox? Now you know!
Basic doughnut recipe. And easier than you think!
Just fry baby, fry.
Use the basic recipe and get creative with your filling. Or maybe go for some flavored schmear? I did green onion and lox but get creative, people!Stacks on stacks.
A little everything bagel spice on top, and your bagels may be jealous.
Check out that filling shot! Drool.
Everything Bagel Sufganiyot
- For dough:
- 2 ¼ teaspoons 1 packet active dry yeast
- ⅔ cup warm whole milk 110 degrees
- ¼ cup granulated sugar plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 3 ¼ - 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling out dough
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 cups+ oil for frying Use an oil with a high smoke point like canola or vegetable
- For filling:
- 1 8 oz container cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions diced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lox diced, plus more for garnish
- Everything Bagel Spice for garnish https://whatjewwannaeat.com/everything-bagel-spice/
- First, let's make the doughnut dough! Combine yeast, warm milk and two teaspoons sugar in a large bowl of a stand mixer and stir to dissolve. Wait 10 minutes, the mixture should get foamy. If it doesn't, the water is the wrong temperature or your yeast is dead. Try again!
- Then add 3 cups flour and remaining sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix with the paddle until it starts to comes together. Then add salt and combine.
- With the mixer on low, add the butter, a little at a time, mixing until it’s all incorporated into the dough. Then, mix on medium speed with the dough hook for about 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth and shiny, adding flour as necessary.
- Then, knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes until slightly tacky but not sticky, adding flour as needed.
- Place the dough in a large bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours. You can also slow rise in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
- While your dough it rising, make your filling by whipping together cream cheese, sour cream, green onions and lox until combined and whipped. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- When the dough has doubled, punch it down and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out to ¾ inch thick and cut out doughnuts using a 3-inch round cutter. Make more doughnuts with the scraps. Place doughnuts on parchment paper lined cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise in a warm place until they puff up, about 1 hour. At this point, you can refrigerate them for up to 2 hours if it’s not time to fry. Bring to room temperature before frying.
- When ready to fry, heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350 degrees F. Working in batches to fry the sufganiyot; be careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden. Sprinkle immediately with everything bagel spice and let cool on cooling rack.
- Place cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag with a round tip for easy filling.
- When the sufganiyot are cool enough to touch, poke a hole in the top using the tip of the pastry bag. Fill using cream cheese mixture and eat up!!