Not your average lame potato chips! Eggplant chips are healthy, crunchy and super addicting thanks to a tahini pesto dipping sauce! Ooh yeah.
I’m always looking for crafty ways to serve my favorite veggies, and right now I’m all about the eggplant. I usually stuff it or roast it, slathered in tahini yogurt or hot sauce, but these chips are a whole new animal. Or vegetable, if we are being accurate.
They are quick and easy to make, which is nice because I feel like I have no time lately! I’m working on some big projects, and I’m going on a few trips and it’s summer which is just busy anyway. Wheeee!
Now you don’t need a mandoline to make these chips, but it does make them extra crispy and cook evenly. But mandolines are kind of scary, right? Don’t tell Bubbe, but I’ve cut myself more than once on these suckers. Luckily, I got these new NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves and I’m obsessed! No more nicked knuckles.
They fit snug, are super strong (4x stronger than leather!) and just give your peace of mind in the kitchen. After all, bubbes get nervous with their bubbelahs around sharp objects. You can even use NoCry gloves for non cooking projects like gardening or making car repairs, or any time you’re coming into contact with sharp objects.
Now you can even get to the very bottom of the veggie with no worries! Sweet.
Okay, can we talk about this pesto?
I used tahini instead of nuts, some cilantro and basil and unicorn tears. Most of that is true.
As a plus, you’ll have extra pesto, which is awesome on caprese salad or sandwiches or with a straw. No judging here. And P.S., the NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves are perfect for grating your potatoes for latkes!
Is it too early in the year for latkes? Didn’t think so.
Eggplant Chips with Tahini Pesto
- For eggplant chips:
- 2-3 medium eggplants (I used 3 smaller Italian eggplant Chinese eggplant would be awesome too, or regular eggplant but these will be big chips!
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- For tahini pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the eggplant chips, preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Prep 2 large cookie sheets with foil. Slice eggplant very thin with a mandoline or knife.
- Spray both sides of eggplant with spray, or brush with olive oil. Season both sides with salt, pepper and cumin. Or seasonings of your choice! Roast for one hour, and then flip and roast another 20-30 minutes until browned and crispy.
- While your eggplant is roasting, make the pesto. Place basil, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and tahini in a blender and process. Then drizzle in olive oil with the motor running and process again until smooth. Season will salt and pepper to taste and use as a dipping sauce for your chips!
- The chips will be crispy right out of the oven, they will soften over time but will still be tasty!
This post is sponsored by NoCry but all opinions are my own per usual. And these gloves really are awesome. Thanks for supporting WJWE. Jew rock!