If you are reading this, then I survived SXSW. Whew! I’ll give you a little recap of the festival later this week (hint: I traded matzah ball soup recipes with Rachael Ray. Love her! More on that later), but I wanted to get right in a tasty Passover recipe today. When I hosted my matzo iPhone giveaway the other week, probably the most popular way to use matzo was in matzo brei. A few people have asked me for more vegan recipes so BAM! dark chocolate coconut banana vegan matzah brei. You’re welcome. For you fools who actually enjoy matzah plain:
Bah dum cha! I’m at the point of the SXSW/St. Patty’s Day extravaganza/life where I am forgetting a bit of the English language, so enough chit chat, let’s just get to the recipe. Here is all Jew need:
First, soak matzah in water or red wine (pour one out for my homies) for about 5 minutes. Drain using a colander. Meanwhile, mash bananas and mix with melted coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Carefully mix in drained matzah.
Heat up a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and melt. Then add in matzo brei and press down a little. Cook until golden brown on one side, flip, and then cook until golden brown on the other. About 7 minutes total.
Um so this isn’t the prettiest dish on the block (shh don’t let her hear you).
So I doctored it up! Melt chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle over matzah brei. Garnish with sliced bananas, walnuts or coconut!
You can eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, even dessert. Even once Passover is over. I won’t tell!
Dark Chocolate Coconut Banana Vegan Matzah Brei
- 2 slices matzah broken into pieces
- Water or vegan red wine if you like things saucy for soaking
- 2 ripe bananas mashed, plus sliced bananas for garnish
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted, plus 1 Tablespoon more for cooking matzah brei
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Ground coconut and chopped walnuts for garnish
- First, soak matzah in water or red wine (pour one out for my homies) for about 1-2 minutes. Then drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, mash bananas and mix with melted coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Carefully mix in drained matzah.
- Heat up a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and melt. Then add in matzo brei and press down a little and cook until golden brown on one side. Then flip and cook until other side is golden brown, about 7 minutes total.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle over matzah brei. Garnish with sliced bananas, walnuts or coconut!