And now something slightly more sophisticated, with a little festive flare. I present Coconut Latkes with Cranberry Applesauce & Cardamom Mascarpone. How good do those sound? A little sweet, a little tart, a little crunchy. This latke has it all! Perfect for your next Chrismukkah get together.
And with that, the Hanukkah countdown is on. I haven’t been this excited since I got my New Kids on the Block bedroom set in 1989!
Coconut Latkes with Cranberry Applesauce & Cardamom Mascarpone
- For Latkes:
- 2 cups 2/3 pound russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps potato starch
- 2 Tbsps granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- For Cranberry Applesauce:
- 3 pounds apples any apples you would use for baking, I used golden delicious, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 Tbsps granulated sugar up to 4 if you want it sweeter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground all spice
- Zest and juice from 1 orange
- 2/3 cup water 1/2 cup if using frozen cranberries
- 1 Tbsp brandy if desired
- For Cardamom Mascarpone:
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1 tsp cardamom or more to taste
- To make the Coconut Latkes, start by shredding your potatoes with a grater.
- Ring out all the moisture with a strainer and paper towel until all the moisture is gone and then add in the coconut, eggs, flour, sugar and salt and combine.
- Meanwhile, heat up canola oil in a large sauté pan. Scoop two-tablespoon dollops of the potato mixture and flatten lightly and fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Then flip and fry the other side. Drain on a rack over paper towels.
- To make Cranberry Applesauce, in a large saucepan, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, spices, orange juice and zest, water, and brandy if desired.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes until apples are tender and some of the cranberries have burst. Stir every so often, adding water if it gets too thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Blend with an immersion blender or smash with a fork.
- To make Cardamom Mascarpone, combine cardamom and mascarpone in a bowl until blended.
- Garnish latkes with applesauce and mascarpone!
This recipe originally appeared on The Nosher!