Sweet, right? When I opened the Grains of Discovery box I received, I was shocked and pretty pumped with their generosity. See I’m partnering with Bob’s to help promote ancient grains like amaranth, chia, farro, kamut, millet, quinoa, sorghum, spelt, and teff. In the next few weeks I’ll host a giveaway so you can win your own box of grains and a Google+ hangout and more! Exciting!
The first grain I was excited to play with is amaranth. It is actually an Aztec seed, and perfect in porridges, polenta and quick breads. I’ve had it before in a healthy breakfast bar, and toasted on top of salads for crunch, but wanted to try a twist on my favorite salad this time! Amaranth reminds me of a smaller quinoa, rich in protein, fiber, iron and gluten free. Boo yeah! It’s also a little mushy, so I mixed it with quinoa to make a super healthy double grain goodness lunch with a nutty flavor from the amaranth. This salad comes together in a jiffy, and is filling and just plain tasty.
Just cook your amaranth and quinoa and combine with veggies and dressing and nosh away!
I feel healthier already!
What are your favorite grains to eat?
- ½ cup cooked amaranth
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ½ bunch cilantro, minced
- ½ avocado, diced
- For dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make salad, combine cooked amaranth, quinoa, diced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, jalapeño and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, and honey. Then drizzle in extra virgin olive oil while whisking vigorously.
- Dress salad with dressing, place in bowls and garnish with avocado.
Bob’s Red Mill sent me an assortment of their grains, but all opinions are my own.