Pretty sweet! Potatoes that is. Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Za’atar Chickpeas and Whipped Tahini Yogurt and Pickled Red Onions is the healthy meal you didn’t realize was healthy.
How are your January diets going? I’m not doing any cleanses, and this is my Whole 30, partly because I haven’t dieted since 2009, and partly because Saturday is my birthday (!!) so no dry January here. No thank you. I’ll be spending the day drinking fine Napa wines (mostly reds, which are good for your heart = health queen.)
But seriously, there was a time (college) where I would eat crappy low-cal frozen meals so I could drink more Natty Light and still fit in my Sevens bootleg jeans (hey mid-2000’s). Until I went to Spain and discovered European cheeses. Buh bye Lean Pockets.
I do try to eat healthy most of the year, and I really love vegetables, which helps. But I am not one to turn down nachos or a homemade rugelach. I very much doubt I’ll be an old Bubbe and wish I ate less babka. Treat yo self.
Healthy doesn’t have to be boring and these sweet potatoes have it all.Crunchy za’atar chickpeas, cooling tahini yogurt, tart pickled red onions. Lots of colors, and sort of resembles a vagina. In a good way! Load it up!
Sure tastes better than a Natty Light.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Za'atar Chickpeas and Whipped Tahini Yogurt
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes cleaned well
- Pickled Red Onions:
- ½ large red onion sliced thin
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Whipped Tahini Yogurt
- 7 oz Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Za'atar Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place sweet potatoes on top. Pierce them in a few places with a knife.
- Bake for 1 hour, until potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the quick pickled red onions. Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer while stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Place onion slices in a bowl and pour mixture on top.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Can be made up to 1 week ahead of time and refrigerated in a mason jar.
- To make tahini yogurt, combine Greek yogurt, tahini, honey and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together or use a hand beater to blend. Add water to thin to the desired texture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the potatoes are almost ready, heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat. Then add chickpeas and saute until chickpeas are hot and start to brown. Add za'atar, cumin and salt and combine.
- Carefully open the sweet potatoes and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Top with chickpeas, tahini yogurt, pickled red onions, walnuts, and chives. Serve hot!