Cream cheese paaaar-tay! Now that’s my kinda party. How to make flavored cream cheese, plus lots of flavor ideas!
It’s no secret I love bagels. But everyone needs a partner in crime, right? For bagels, it’s their cohorts lox and cream cheese. But honestly, what doesn’t go on a bagel?! Some days, the hardest decision I have to make is which schmear to put on my poppy seed bagel. My life is very hard. I know this. So I started brainstorming some possibilities.
First, let’s start with the schmear. You need to have good quality schmear to make your flavored cream cheese. You can even make your own homemade cream cheese! It’s easier than you think.
Basically, cream cheese is a canvas for awesomeness. You can quote me on that. Some may argue that only classics like dill and chive are acceptable, but I say nay. Go sweet or savory and get creative! Food is made to evolve with our tastes and customs and is meant to be fun. Since summer is upon us, I decided to make berry first. And then I just. Couldn’t. Stop!
This is a recipe for Very Berry Cream Cheese from my favorite bagel spot back when I lived in Austin years ago, Wholy Bagel. NYC worthy bagels in Texas. Now there are more bagel options in Austin, but Wholy Bagel was the first! You can use this flavored cream cheese formula to make other flavors, or scroll down below for some other cream cheese recipes from around the Internets!
But I didn’t stop there.
May I present to you:
Everything Bagel Pickle Cream Cheese: Mix in everything bagel spice, and diced dill pickles.
Funfetti Cream Cheese: Mix in rainbow sprinkles, powdered sugar, and a dash of vanilla or almond extract.
Wasabi Cream Cheese: This is what you think it is! Mix in wasabi. I garnished with black sesame seeds for fanciness.
Lox and Dill Cream Cheese: Mix in diced lox, and fresh dill. Garnish with capers, red onions and a twist of lemon!
Chive Cream Cheese: Classic for a reason! Mix in chives and garnish with lemon zest,
Raspberry Cream Cheese: Mix in raspberry jam or fresh raspberries and a little sugar if you want it sweet.
Here are some other ideas for you. Seriously. Go meshugena!
- Honey and Chopped Pecans
- Dried Cranberries, Orange Zest and Walnuts
- Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
- Chili Pepper
- Pureed Pumpkin with Pumpkin Spice
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Shaved Chocolate or Cocoa Powder and Powdered Sugar
Flavored Cream Cheese
- 8 oz container of cream cheese at room temperature (not low fat)
- Fresh blueberries (Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries (chop the strawberries into smaller pieces), washed and dried well. Jam works well as an alternative!)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- Pinch salt
- Lay the cream cheese on a cutting board and flatten.
- Add a layer of berries on top with sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- With a flat spatula, fold the cream cheese over the fruit and pat down. Repeat five times until ingredients are incorporated.
- To test, run a finger across the cream cheese. If it’s mixed enough, you won’t see pure white.
- Adjust sugar to taste.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Best served the day it's made.
- You can use this method for any of the other mix-ins listed on this post!
Try these other cream cheese ideas! Or else. Jk here are some fun ideas.