Got five minutes and a sweet tooth? Make Cardamom Tahini Brownie in a Mug, nosh, and be happy!
Normally, I bake for a crowd. Nutella Rugelach to drop off with friends, Black and Pink Cookies to share at brunch or a Tzimmes Cake for a dinner party. So now that there are no get-togethers, I’m not wanting to bake much. I know that a lot of people are in bread mode, baking challahs and babkas galore, but my husband and I are spending most of our kitchen time coming up with creative dinners for ourselves. It’s been hard to get ingredients, so we are using them wisely.
Now that’s not to say we don’t want an occasional sweet treat! I asked on Instagram, and y’all are most interested in easy dinner ideas and sweet treats with as little clean-up as possible. I hear you! Enter Cardamom Tahini Brownie in a Mug! I can’t even remember the last time I used our microwave, but ti’s worth busting it out for solo brownie glory. I was inspired by my friend’s Brownie in a Mug recipe to make my own version! If you don’t have cardamom, cinnamon works just great. And if you don’t have tahini, a nut butter should work? Let me know what you try! You only need a mug and a spoon unless you want to pre-measure all the ingredients and make them pretty like this:
I recommend that if you are a blogger or masochist only. Not if your goal is having fewer dishes. First up, mix together your dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Then add the wet and stir again just until combined. You should have a thick batter. It looks like this! Your brownie in a mug is nearly done. So easy, right? Because I am weird, I transferred my batter into a new mug for a clean look, but if you are going for as-few-dishes-as-possible, then skip this step. Top with more tahini and swirl to make it pretty. You eat with your eyes first they say, and they are correct! We have been plating food on pretty dishes in pretty ways and it makes eating even more fun. Ta da! Now, the hardest part of this recipe. Let it cool for a moment. You could totally eat this as is and be as happy as a kosher clam.
Or add a little ice cream. Now we are talking.But it is still missing something… Sprinkles! Dessert complete.
Warm brownie + cold ice cream = perfection. I also garnished with a bit of powdered sugar and cardamom because we are fancy over here. Jew do Jew. OK YES!
Cardamom Tahini Brownie in a Mug
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons water or any milk
- 2 tablespoons melted and cooled butter neutral oil or coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons tahini paste divided
- For garnish- ice cream powdered sugar, more cardamom and, of course, sprinkles!
- Get out a microwave-safe mug. I used a 12-oz mug which had enough room to mix without spilling the ingredients, but transferred to a smaller mug for nuking. It doesn't rise much, so as long as your mug holds your batter, you're good.
- Add in your dry ingredients - flour, sugar, cooca powder, cardamom and salt and mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Then add in the wet- water, butter, and 2 teaspoons tahini paste. Stir again just until combined. The batter should be thick.
- Drizzle the last teaspoon of tahini on top and swirl to make it pretty.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds or until the top is set and the inside is still slightly gooey and moist. (Start with 60 seconds and see if you need more.)
- Let cool for a minute and top with ice cream, sprinkles, a sprinkle of cardamom and powdered sugar, or whatever you like!