I freaking love brunch. What’s not to love? An excuse to drink before noon and bacon is encouraged. Sorry Kosher kids! Maybe it was our weekly habit back in NYC of hitting up a mimosa brunch, followed by frolicking around “specialty” stores in Chelsea. Nothing says Sunday Funday quite like a baker’s dozen of adult beverages and pleather!
Or our Austin tradition of checking our bank balances on our iPhones to determine just which of the hot spots were lucky enough to be graced with our presence the night before based on the (numerous) charges. Sigh. If you think that game sounds like a good time, just imagine how the fun increases over bloody Mary’s!
Normally, I am a savory brunch kind of girl, but when I am craving something sweet only French Toast will do. And you can keep your brioche, because challah bread is the way to go. For a little kick, I made mine with Baileys- and added a splash in my coffee as well. For flavor of course. Happy Sunday to me!
I made my recipe for Sunday Funday- party of one. The recipe below serves 6, but you can scale it for any number! I made enough for numero uno.
Whipped cream encouraged. Beat together eggs with milk, Baileys, cinnamon and vanilla and if you are cooking for a group, pour into a pan.
Then, put your challah pieces in the pan to coat with the egg mixture for a few minutes, and flip to coat the other side for a few more.
Serve with the toppings of your choice. Nuts, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and fruit would all be tasty. I topped mine with berries…
Baileys Challah French Toast
- 12 pieces challah
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Baileys or liquor of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat together eggs with milk, Baileys, cinnamon and vanilla and if you are cooking for a group, pour into a pan.
- Put your challah pieces in the pan to coat with the egg mixture for a few minutes, and flip to coat the other side for a few more.
- Add butter to a warm pan on low heat, and cook challah until browned on each side.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.