Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts topped with peanut-y Bamba! It’s true.
You may have seen a sneak peek of our Jewchella Shabbat, put on with the Shabbat Project on the Internets, well, here is the first recipe! I’m working on a recap of the entire event and all the recipes we had, so get excited.
Are y’all familiar with Bamba? It’s the super popular Israeli snack that’s basically peanut butter flavored Cheetos but in the best possible way. Some people say the popularity of this treat is why so few Israeli kids are allergic to peanuts. All I know is that they are delicious and you can get it at Trader Joe’s!
My inspiration for this recipe was a little all over the place. First I saw this recipe and was like ooooh I like, how can I use Bamba in a creative way?? The wheels started turning. Then I was
drinking many Manhattans eating at one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco, Comstock, noshing on their AMAZING Asian-style Brussels Sprouts topped with pork rinds (sorry) and it dawned on me. The texture of Bamba is kind of like a pork rind, and peanut goes really well with Asian flavors! And here we are.
I doubled this recipe for a crowd, and there were hardly any leftovers! The key is to get the Brussels really dry and spread them out inside side down on the sheet pan to get the super cripsy and delicious. If you don’t like Brussels sprouts
you are wrong you probably haven’t had them nice and charred like these. The other key is the add the Bamba right before serving so it doesn’t get mushy.
Kaley and I in our Jewchella finest. Sneak peek at the salad course too! Can you spot it?
See you soon, my sweets!
Hello, precious. Tada! All dressed up with no place to go. Except my mouth. These are a little sweet, a little spicy, a little umami and a little peanut-y! (Trying to make peanut-y a word here.) P.S. Get kosher fish sauce here!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (all about the same size), washed, trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sriracha to taste
- Chopped mint and basil for garnish
- ½ cup Bamba, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts together with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread out on a foil lined sheet pan, inside side down and roast for 25-30 minutes or until brown and tender.
- While the Brussels are roasting, mix together your dressing ingredients in a small bowl: fish sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, lime and Sriracha to taste (depends on how hot you like it!) You can also cut up your Bamba and mint and basil during this time.
- Toss hot Brussels with the dressing, topped with mint, basil and Bamba and eat right away!