Some like it spicy! Especially this Spicy Salmon Bagel Bowl!
It may be fall in your neck of the woods, but October is summer in San Francisco! I believe it was Mark Twain who once said: “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” Which doesn’t totally make sense, since it was 70 most days, and Mark, I know you lived in Connecticut as we took many a field trip to the Mark Twain house as a kid, but I digress. It’s been warm, and perfect Spicy Salmon Bagel Bowl weather!
Anyhoo, I’ve been up to some fun SF things! This past weekend was Fleet Week, where the Blue Angels put on a show over the city. It’s just so cool and sort of unnecessary, but cool. It’s also an excuse to drink at noon on a rooftop, but who needs an excuse? I went to the Color Factory too, and I HIGHLY recommend you go if it comes to your town. Totally worth it! Let me tempt you with a wall of rainbow ribbons, and giant ball pit. Take my money, Color Factory.
Back to the salmon. My brother went on a salmon shipping expedition (as one does) and came back with TONS of the freshest salmon. He was generous enough to share with me (thanks, bro!) and I knew I wanted to make something raw to take advantage of the freshness (and I had already made Jewshi once before, ironically after a visit to SF!)
So a Jewishi bagel inspired bowl was bowl! The perfect light lunch to pair with rooftop mimosas.
I meant to add cucumber (oops) but I did use avocado, tomatoes, capers, a soft boiled egg, and tons of everything bagel spice! You could totally use cucumber.
Nom nom nom.The real San Francisco treat, don’t tell the rice people.
- 10-12 oz skinless sushi-grade salmon, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 green onion, sliced, green and white pieces
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, plus more for greens
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more for greens
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, plus more for greens
- Pinch red chili pepper flakes
- Everything bagel spice to taste
- 3 cups mixed greens
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 soft boiled egg, halved
- In a medium bowl whisk together green onion, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, chili pepper flakes and everything bagel spice. Add salmon and toss gently. Season to taste with more EBS. Set aside.
- Dress greens lightly with more sesame oil, vinegar and soy sauce to taste.
- Divide greens into two bowls and top with salmon, avocado, capers, tomatoes and egg. Season with more everything bagel spice and serve immediately!