A healthy but delicious quinoa bowl piled with za’atar roasted cauliflower, tomatoes, pomegranate, a 6 minute egg and Meyer lemon dressing! Yessss. People often ask me what I typically eat. I think they picture me in a bathtub of chopped liver (hmm not a bad idea) or that it’s Nutella Rugelach for breakfast, lunch and dinner (also not the worst idea.) But between noshing on kugel and brisket, I tend to eat lots of veggies with bright flavors. Like this quinoa bowl of goodness!
This past weekend was an especially fun one. I meant to take it easy to rest up for next weekend (Halloween!) But my Internet turned real life friend Jew Things came to visit so we spent three days frolicking in the rain, watching football, and acting like 23 year olds (hint: one of us is 23, the other one does a damn fine job faking it.) I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but my favorite thing about blogging is meeting new friends in real life. It’s just so fun! But now I’m in need of a serious detox. Gimme all the veggies.
I love bowls like this because you can kind of just add whatever you have in the fridge and it works. Don’t have quinoa? How about farro. No cauliflower? Try radishes or broccoli! I used some za’atar from my recent trip to Israel.
A light but flavorful Meyer lemon cilantro vinaigrette.
And lots of raisins and pomegranate arils for sweetness. Topped with black and white sesame seeds and the most perfect egg ever.
I almost feel like a real person again just looking at this!
What would you put in a perfect quinoa bowl?
Quinoa Bowl with Za'atar Cauliflower, Pomegranate, a 6 Minute Egg and Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- For quinoa bowl:
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- Salt if your za'atar needs salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- For dressing:
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon smooth mustard
- Juice from 1 Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss your cauliflower and tomatoes in 2 tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle with za'atar and salt if needed and toss again. Spread onto a foil lined cookie sheet and roast for 25 minutes or so until well browned.
- While your veggies are roasting, make the dressing. Whisk together shallot, mustard and lemon in a small bowl. Then drizzle in olive oil while whisking. Whisk in cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
- Also, make your egg! Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Lower to a simmer, place egg gently inside, and simmer for 6 minutes. Run cooked egg under cold water to stop cooking. Peel and slice in half the long way.
- Toss cooked quinoa with dressing. Place in two bowls and top with cauliflower and tomatoes, raisins, pomegranate, 1/2 egg in each, and cilantro and sesame seeds for garnish. You can serve this dish warm or at room temperature!