Thanks to those of you who attended my first Hangout on Google+!! We had a great turnout and I had a fun time! I am going to make it a weekly thing, so you will have lots of opportunities to join and watch me attempt not to be awkward. This week I showed everyone how to make my Bubbe’s famous brownies- thanks Bubbe for letting me share the recipe with the world! These brownies are fudgey, super rich, and just irresistible. I have had no fewer than two marriage proposals from gentleman callers after trying these suckers. Win!
Gloria asked me what makes some brownies so shiny and I wasn’t sure of the answer. I did some research and it seems that no one is 100% sure but the consensus is that egg whites mixed with sugar creates a meringue that when hardens makes the shiny crust. So, I would maybe replace a egg with an egg white to this recipe if Jew are looking for shiny brownies! Not sure, I haven’t tried it. (Edited to add: Bubbe says it is the weather- humidity, if the A/C is on or not that affects it. Other ideas are the weather (humidity) or baking temperature. I also forgot to mention on the video how you know when the brownies are done. I was too excited to eat a brownie I think! A toothpick will come out almost clean- they will continue to cook a bit when they cool. Also, the easiest way to cut brownies is to make sure they are completely cool, and use a damp knife. Wipe off the knife between cuts to make perfectly square brownies.
Here are a few pics from behind the scenes and the recipe. I included cups and grams if you want to use a scale like I suggest! Here is an awesome digital food scale. Also, I used a 13 by 9-Inch pan, but you can halve the recipe and use and 8 Inch Square Pan. And, no, this isn’t my kitchen. Mine is slightly more ghetto!
What recipes would Jew like to see a video for??
Here I am in action!
Finished product- bam!
Get in my belly!
Bubbe's Famous Brownies
- For brownies:
- 1 cup butter 226.81 grams
- 3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa 88.5 grams
- 2 cups sugar 400 grams
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour 125 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 182.4 grams
- 1 cup white chocolate chips 182.4 grams
- Optional: walnuts peanut butter chips, etc.
- For frosting optional:
- 1/2 cup butter 113.4 grams
- 1 pound powdered sugar 453.59 grams
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Melt butter in a medium size saucepan over a double boiler over low heat.
- Remove melted butter from heat and add cocoa. Stir in well until blended.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add eggs one at a time beating, blending each one until incorporated.
- Then add flour and salt. Mix, but DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Stir in chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Bake 25-30 minutes (Bubbe always bakes 28 minutes exactly!) Brownies will be done when a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Let brownies cool at least one hour to overnight.
- For frosting, beat butter until fluffy, add confectioners' sugar, and incorporate enough milk to get the desired texture.
- Frost if desired and garnish with extra chocolate chips or garnish with powdered sugar cut into 24 bars.