Is avocado toast still a thing? When it’s Tahini Rosewater Avocado Toast with a fried egg it sure as heck is!
Hello! Did you have a lovely New Year’s Eve? I’d love to hear what you did to celebrate! Were you out and about past midnight, drinking champagne out of the bottle and dancing on glittery tables? Or snuggled up with your cat watching Ryan Seacrest and snoring in your Thai takeout by 10pm? Both sound like delightful options.
(Get it? Like Rosh Hashanah?) I had a little of column A and column B! A relaxing Christmas week of the Matzah Ball, Dripping Springs wineries, staycationing at the J(e)W Marriott and my very first Christmas present!NYE weekend was a mix of frolicking on 6th street with some friends including my Internet turned real life friend Jew Things. We joked, as we played belated Hanukkah drinking dreidel games, that this is probably exactly what people stereotypically think we do when we get together. And it’s true. (You may have seen our shenanigans on Snapchat, and if so I apologize). But the rest of the weekend was spent with staycation numero 2 at the Omni Barton Creek. Ice skating, drinking
spiked hot cocoa, a killer bagel, getting a massage and watching people play golf.Okay, back to reality, and back to the food. Do you have a resolution this year? Last year mine was to be more decisive. And I totally nailed it (I think). This year I’m focusing on my first cookbook that comes out this summer. I can’t wait to tour and meet you! We are working on the cover now; I’ll show you as soon as it’s done.
If your resolution is to be a little healthier (at least until February 1st) then do I have the breakfast for you. Boy do I!
Rosewater spiked sesame paste slathered on rye toast and topped with avocado, a fried egg and sesame seeds. And sea salt. And awesomeness. Rosewater is made by steeping rose petals in water, and is popular in Middle Eastern recipes. It gives a unique floral note when added to ice cream, cookies, cocktails, even salad dressings and other savory recipes.
I love this breakfast because it comes together in about 10 minutes, and if you can use a toaster, you have the skillz (with a z) to make it happen!
Tahini Rosewater Avocado Toast
- 2 pieces rye bread toasted
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon rosewater
- ½ avocado sliced
- 2 eggs fried
- Olive oil sea salt and sesame seeds for garnish
- This recipe could not be easier! In a small bowl, mix together tahini paste, honey and rosewater. You don’t even have to measure, but careful because the rosewater is potent.
- Spread rosewater tahini on toasted bread. Then top with avocado slices. The easiest way to cut slices is to cut an avocado in half. The side without the pit, put hole side down on a cutting board. Cut in half the long way. Then carefully peel off the peel. Slices each side into thin slices.
- Top each piece of avocado toast with one egg, then sprinkle with sea sat and sesame seeds and drizzle with olive oil. Eat!