Crock Pot Tzimmes
A tasty vegetarian side dish!
- 3 cups carrots washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces on the bias
- 3 cups sweet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups onion cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup wine I used a dry red, but sweet or dry, red or white will work
- 1 cup broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup dates pitted
Toss your carrots, sweet potatoes and onion chunks into your crock pot.
Add brown sugar, honey and cinnamon.
Then cover with orange juice, wine, and broth.
Cook on high for 6 hours or until vegetables and soft but not mushy and sauce is thick and coats the vegetables. Add the dates after 5 1/2 hours and continue cooking.
VERY IMPORTANT: if the vegetables are soft and the sauce is not thick yet, remove vegetables and continue to cook the sauce in the crock pot or a sauce pan until it is thick. Pour over vegetables.