Dark Chocolate Coconut Banana Vegan Matzah Brei
A vegan matzah brei for Passover that even meat eaters will want to nosh on!
- 2 slices matzah broken into pieces
- Water or vegan red wine if you like things saucy for soaking
- 2 ripe bananas mashed, plus sliced bananas for garnish
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted, plus 1 Tablespoon more for cooking matzah brei
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Ground coconut and chopped walnuts for garnish
First, soak matzah in water or red wine (pour one out for my homies) for about 5 minutes. Then drain in a colander.
Meanwhile, mash bananas and mix with melted coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Carefully mix in drained matzah.
Heat up a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and melt. Then add in matzo brei and press down a little and cook until golden brown on one side. Then flip and cook until other side is golden brown, about 7 minutes total.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle over matzah brei. Garnish with sliced bananas, walnuts or coconut!