Marinated Eggplant and Zucchini with Persimmon
An Italian-Jewish appetizer, this Marinated Eggplant and Zucchini with Persimmon is the perfect light winter dish paired with Italian wine!
- 2 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium eggplant sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons white or red vinegar I used red
- 1/2 teaspoon whole dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 Fuyu persimmon diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle eggplant and zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt and fry in batches on both sides until browned and tender but not over-cooked. Add in more oil as needed. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, red chili pepper flakes and garlic together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Arrange the zucchini and eggplant on a plated and brush or spoon with dressing. You may not need all of it.
Marinate overnight or eat right away garnished with persimmon and mint.