Orange Beet Charoset
Incorporate the orange on the seder plate with this sweet and tart Orange Beet Charoset!
- 4 medium beets washed, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon neutral oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 medium apples I used Granny Smith, but any firm apples work
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup Manischewitz I like blackberry or sweet red wine
- 1 large orange segmented and diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Get those beets cooking! Toss beets in oil and salt and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Let cool. You can also roast the beets peeled but whole and dice after. Up to you!
Peel and core your apples, dice them and toss with cooled beets in a large bowl. Then add nuts, cinnamon, honey and wine and mix again. Carefully fold in oranges (to segment the orange, cut the skin and pith off with a knife, then cut the segments out of the orange leaving the pith divided behind and then dice the pieces) and serve! Can be made a few hours ahead of serving and stored in the refrigerator.