Don’t you just hate it when you have leftover bagels and lox lying around? Okay that never happens to me either. So go out and buy some new ones and make this Bagel, Lox and Schmear Salad with Everything Bagel Dressing!
Yes, I said Everything Bagel Dressing! This is pretty much everything you love about your favorite breakfast (oatmeal be damned), all rolled into a salad. Because bikini season is upon us and salad = healthy. We all know that. Even when it’s covered with bagel croutons and a cream cheese based dressing. The lettuce negates it all. It’s just science.
So we’ve got lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, capers, and definitely lots of Beet and Bourbon Cured Lox. Come to mama.
BTW, once you make bagel croutons, all other croutons will seem inferior. So I apologize in advance.
And can we talk about this dressing? Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, dill, unicorn tears. (Just making sure you are still reading.)Dem veggies.
I just mixed the dressing by hand, but you can use a food processor too. You’re going to want extra to dip your carrots in! Trust me.
Ta da! I like to make the perfect bite with a little crouton, a little lox, a little schmear. But I’m weird. Jew do what Jew like!
- 1 bagel (your favorite kind!), diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ¼ red onion, cut into slivers
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 ounces of lox
- For dressing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cloves dried garlic, minced (can use fresh)
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated white onion, minced (can use fresh)
- 2 teaspoons dill, minced
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss bagel pieces in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until browned and crispy. Set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk together all ingredients except butter milk or blend in a food processor. Add in buttermilk until you have the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble two salads with mixed greens on the plate first, top with red onion, tomatoes, capers, lox (I rolled them up into little fishy roses), croutons and drizzle with dressing!