It’s Lemon Caper Almond Salmon! Healthy dinner alert! Easy roasted salmon with beet puree and the best crunchy almond, caper topping you’re going to want to put on everything.
Usually, I try to eat healthy 80% of the time, and it’s not too hard because I love veggies and lean proteins
and wine. But lately, the weekends have been all about indulging (fried pickles! Boozy things! Ice cream cake!) So with the start of a new week, I start things with a new with a healthy homemade meal. Sometimes that means a big a$$ salad, but today it’s a hearty salmon that would work really well on your Rosh Hashanah (yes I’m going there already) table too.
I never thought I liked salmon when I was little because I always had it dry and overcooked. Whomp. Turns out cook it properly and it’s delicious! Who knew? Okay, I’m sure you guys knew that. But one thing I did always love was beets. Any other beet lovers out there? Here’s my case: naturally sweet, naturally hot pink, very versatile. From borscht aka princess soup to salads, to beet rugelach!
So fresh and so clean, clean.
You can buy roasted beets, but I take the time to roast my own. Fact: I once broke up with a guy because he thought beets tasted like dirt. Okay, that’s not true but don’t put it past me. Oohh ahh. Dinner is served! You can roast the beets ahead of time and put this guy together in 20 minutes. Boom.
- For Beet Puree:
- 4 medium beets (will make about 2 cups diced beets), washed well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to drizzle
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- For Salmon:
- 4⅓-1/2 pound filets (or 1 large filet)
- Olive oil
- Salt, black pepper, sesame seeds
- 1 lemon
- Fresh dill for garnish
- For Crunchy Almond Caper Topping:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ¼ cup capers
- ⅓ cup almond slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take the beets and place them on a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Let beets cool slightly, and rub off the skin with a towel and dice. Don't worry if you have pink hands! All the kids are doing it.
- Place beets in a food processor along with 2 tablespoons olive oil, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar and honey. Blend untill smooth. Season with chili pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Add a little warm water if it's very thick.
- Now, it's salmon time!
- Place salmon on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and sesame seeds. I don't measure, just a nice amount!
- Roast for 12-15 minutes or until salmon flakes with a fork.
- While salmon is roasting, heat a small saute pan up over medium heat. Add butter and olive oil and heat until the butter is melted and bubbling a bit. Add shallots, capers and almonds and a saute until almonds are toasted and capers and browned. Squeeze in lemon juice and saute just until it's absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the salmon is ready, squeeze a lemon all over it and serve hot over beet puree. Spoon the almond caper topping over the salmon and garnish with fresh dill. Eat!