Matzah Scallion Pancakes
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side Dish, Holidays
- 1 cup thinly sliced white and pale green scallion parts
- 1 cup thinly chopped scallion greens
- ¾ cup plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1½ cups matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook sliced white and pale green scallion in 2 teaspoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in scallion greens.
- Whisk eggs and water in a bowl.
- Stir in matzo meal, salt, pepper and scallion mixture until well combined.
- Heat ½ cup oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot (if using a smaller pan like me, use less oil).
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake into the oil, and flatten into a round.
- Cook pancakes for 2 minutes until undersides and golden.
- Flip, and cook for another 1½ minutes until done.
- Transfer finished pancakes to a paper towel and repeat, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve with sour cream and scallions or mix soy sauce and sesame oil for a dipping sauce!
You can reheat pancakes on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/matzah-scallion-pancakes/