- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1¼ cups warm water or more in needed
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mix the yeast into 1 cup warm water and allow it to get foamy for about 20 minutes.
- Measure the flour, sugar, salt, oil and remaining water in a large bowl.
- Pour the yeast and water into the flour mixture and knead until smooth, adding more water if needed.
- Move the dough to a clean surface and divide into 8 pieces.
- Allow the pieces to rest for 10 minutes, and then roll each piece into a rope, joining at the end to form a ring.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Boil the bagels for 1 minute, flip and boil for one more minute.
- Remove bagels from water and add toppings if you like (sesame seeds, salt, or poppy seeds would all be tasty)
- Bake your bagels for 20 minutes or so, until brown and crispy.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/bagels-lox-and-schmear/