Crock Pot Tzimmes
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 3 cups carrots, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces on the bias
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups onion, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup wine (I used a dry red, but sweet or dry, red or white will work)
- 1 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- Toss your carrots, sweet potatoes and onion chunks into your crock pot.
- Add brown sugar, honey and cinnamon.
- Then cover with orange juice, wine, and broth.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or until vegetables and soft but not mushy and sauce is thick and coats the vegetables. Add the dates after 5 1/2 hours and continue cooking.
- VERY IMPORTANT: if the vegetables are soft and the sauce is not thick yet, remove vegetables and continue to cook the sauce in the crock pot or a sauce pan until it is thick. Pour over vegetables.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/crock-pot-tzimmes/