Cheesy Pumpkin Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Recipe type: Main Dish, Sukkot
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 - 1¼ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or more to taste, up to 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 10 oz package spinach, drained
- 1½ cups quinoa, cooked
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat up two tablespoons grapeseed oil (or substitute most other oils). Saute onions over medium heat until they start to brown and then add in garlic for a second.
- Then add in enough flour to make a roux- about 2 tablespoons. Look at you making a roux!
- Then add in milk and cook for a few minutes until you have a thick sauce. Congrats you just made a béchamel!
- Then add in the cheese- I highly recommend shredding it yourself as pre-shredded cheese has added crap in there that won’t make your sauce as creamy.
- This sauce can also be used as the beginnings of mac n cheese. Ooh yeah. Add in seasonings- salt, pepper, sage, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Then mix in the pumpkin, spinach and quinoa.
- The fill four peppers. Top with Panko mixed with melted butter.
- Bake for 1 hour until peppers are soft and breadcrumbs are brown.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/cheesy-pumpkin-quinoa-stuffed-peppers/