Pesto Hummus and Whole Wheat Pita Chips
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Hummus: 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly roasted
- 4 cloves of garlic, roasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can of chickpeas, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chickpea liquid or water
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pita chips: Whole wheat pita (as much as you like)
- Extra virgin olive oil (enough to cover pita)
- Salt or other seasonings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- First roast the garlic. Put garlic cloves on a foil lined sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Fold the foil into a packet and roast at 325 degrees F until garlic is soft, or about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Now it’s hummus time! First blend up the basil, pine nuts, garlic and a drizzle of the olive oil in a food processor.
- Then add the chickpeas, chickpea liquid or water, tahini paste, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper and blend until smooth!
- Now time to make the chips! Cut your pita (you can use purchased or homemade pita) into triangles. If you are using pita pockets make sure to cut the pieces along the edge so they separate.
- Then drizzle the pita with olive oil and top with salt or topping of your choice. Herbs would be tasty. I used truffle salt (oh yes I did!)
- Bake at 325 degrees F until crispy, or about 15 minutes.
Prep time does not include time to cook chickpeas. Cook time includes roasting garlic.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/pesto-hummus-and-whole-wheat-pita-chips/