Apple Beet Charoset
Recipe type: Side Dish, Passover
- 1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 apples (I used Pink Lady. Gala is tasty too)
- 4 beets
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup Manischewitz or sweet red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the walnuts in a single layer until toasted, or about 5-7 minutes.
- Next up, put your 1/2 cup sugar in a saucepan on medium heat and mix while melting the sugar.
- As soon as the sugar is melted, add the nuts and quickly coat the nuts. Transfer nuts to piece of wax or parchment paper and immediately break up the nuts with spoons.
- After you make your nuts, get those beets cooking!
- Wash your beets and cut in half. Roast for at least 1 hour in the 350 degree oven until tender.
- When your beets are ready, they should be easy to peel with your hands or a paring knife (once cool of course!)
- Peel your beets and peel and core your apples and dice ‘em up.
- Then add the diced dates and cooled nuts.
- Mix that up and add the sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- And then the honey and wine and mix one more time!
- Serve with matzah!
Cook time is for beets only. Beets can be cooked ahead of time.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/apple-beet-charoset/