Apple Beet Charoset
Recipe type: Passover
- 1½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 medium beets, washed, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 medium apples (I used Pink Lady. Gala is tasty too)
- ½ cup dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup Manischewitz (I like blackberry) or sweet red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- Place walnuts in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 5-7 minutes.
- Place ½ cup sugar in a medium saucepan on medium heat and mix while melting the sugar.
- As soon as the sugar is melted, add the nuts and quickly coat the nuts. Transfer nuts to piece of wax or parchment paper and immediately break up the nuts with a spoon.
- After you make your nuts, get those beets cooking! Toss beets in olive oil and salt and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- Peel and core your apples and dice them and toss with beets in a large bowl. Then add the diced dates and cooled nuts. Then add cinnamon, honey and wine and mix one more time.
Beets can be cooked ahead of time.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/apple-beet-charoset/