- Noodle ingredients:
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- ½ cup butter (healthy version, ⅙ cup)
- 1 cup whole milk (healthy version, low fat)
- 4 large eggs (yolks are healthy! And give texture to your kugel.)
- ¾ cup sugar (healthy version, ½ cup)
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-pound container sour cream (healthy version, Greek yogurt)
- 1-pound container cottage cheese (healthy version, low fat)
- Topping ingredients:
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons soft butter, cut into bits (this topping is so tasty, I shunned all healthy versions)
- Preheat to 350.
- Butter a 13 by 9 by 2 inch glass or ceramic dish.
- Cook noodles according to directions until al dente.
- Drain well, then return to the pot and add amount of butter of your choosing, totally coating the noodles.
- Mix together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Then stir in sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Lastly, mix in cottage cheese.
- Combine your noodles with the mixture, and transfer into the dish.
- To make the topping, toss together cornflakes, sugar, cinnamon and butter and sprinkle evenly over noodles.
- Bake kugel for 1 hour until golden brown. Let stand at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/noodle-kugel/