Dark Chocolate Mandel Bread
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 stick shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 egg
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour (use a little more if dough is sticky when you roll it out)
- Walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- Zest of 1 orange
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add Fage Greek yogurt and egg.
- Add in baking powder, baking soda and flour.
- Roll your dough into 4 balls and chill 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Flatten each ball with hands until you make a circle about 1/4" thick.
- Spread with marmalade, then sprinkle with walnuts and cinnamon.
- Roll jelly roll style and place seam down and greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with other balls.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown.
- Cool mandel bread slightly and slice 1/2 inch think pieces.
- Continue to bake at 375 on each side until crispy.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave. Add in orange zest.
- Dip ends of mandel bread into chocolate. Let dry on parchment paper.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/dark-chocolate-mandel-bread/