Pumpkin and Kale Stew
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chickpeas (or 1 can)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper
- Roast your pumpkin at 400 degrees for 45 minutes by cutting it into pieces and scooping out the seeds. Save your seeds!
- After your pumpkin is cooked, bake pumpkin seeds at 300 degrees for 45 minutes until golden.
- Saute your onions in olive oil over medium heat until golden, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in diced zucchini, minced garlic, drained tomatoes and cook until zucchini is soft and tomatoes break down.
- After your pumpkin is cooked, cut into bite sized chunks and toss in with canned pumpkin, stock, chickpeas and spices.
- Simmer until all the flavors meld and the soup gets thick like a stew. Add in kale last and stir until wilted.
- Served with couscous and top with pumpkin seeds.
Recipe by What Jew Wanna Eat at http://whatjewwannaeat.com/pumpkin-and-kale-stew/