You may or may not have noticed, but I’m kind of obsessed with beets. I’ve made Beet Fries, Pickled Beets and even Beet Hummus. And now Beet Chips with Spicy Honey Mayo! Not only are they tasty and healthy, but neon pink (or golden yellow). And who doesn’t love neon food?? Beets are rich in vitamin C, fiber, and some even consider them to be a natural aphrodisiac. Can’t hurt! Pass by the canned variety in favor of the more flavorful fresh. Totally versatile, beets are perfect roasted, pickled, raw or in this case, fried.
Sprinkled with a little salt, these crunchy chips are delicious on their own, and even better when paired with a sweet and spicy pareve mayonnaise. Sort of a modern twist on apples dipped in honey. I used just red beets, but throw in some golden ones as well for a colorful addition to your Rosh Hashanah meal.
- Beet Chips
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 3 medium beets, washed and dried well
- Sea salt
- Coarse black pepper
- Spicy Honey Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2-3 teaspoons Sriracha (or to taste)
- In a large, wide pot heat the oil over high heat to 375°F.
- Cut the root end off the beets, and cut using a mandolin into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- Set up a cooling rack over paper towels near the pot.
- Once oil is hot, slip one layer of beets into the oil and fry until golden and the bubbling and sizzling stops, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper and let cool on the rack. The chips will crisp up as they cool. Repeat with other slices and serve with Spicy Honey Mayonnaise. 1. Combine all ingredients, chill for 30 minutes and serve!